Monday, May 31, 2010

Je suis in Germany. Wait...

So yesterday and the day before count as one day in my head. Mainly because I didn't sleep, but partially because there was no definition of where one day ended and the next day began, aside from pausing Pirate Radio on the in-flight movie screen and checking the time to see that it was 12:40 Atlanta time. Which meant it was something like 2:40 AM wherever I was at the time. After leaving my mom, I went to the terminal (gate E-11; I remembered it by the Imperial blaster in Star Wars) and sat down. 14 or so seconds later, Anna Myer found me! So then we waited another hour or so and Josh Gloster showed up. Of the nine or so people leaving two days ago for Frankfurt, the three from Chamblee happened to be on the same flight.

So the next nine hours were spent sitting on the plane next to like 6 German people. I was very clearly the odd one out, mostly because I wasn't wearing a cowboy hat. Though in retrospect, I definitely should have. And should always. I watched Pirate Radio and The Hurt Locker. Sleep was hard to come by, particularly after Señor Inconvenientéin front of me decided he wanted to push his chair all the way back into my face. You know what I've noticed?Whenever people do that to you on a plane, they always do it really slowly. Like they want to make SURE you know they just did that. Hey jackass, see what I'm doing here? I'm pushing my seat back into you. Yeah, you like that? Almost halfway there. Kind of reminds you of something else, doesn't it...?
Anyway, then we got off the plane and struggled slightly to find Frankfurt Fernbahnhof (it was after a maze of maps and escalators). Hats off to the cowboyhat-Germans, though. They got us going in the right direction.
After an hour of waiting, Anna and I took the four-hour train ride to Weimar. Poor Anna had to spent 44 euros on another ticket, as she didn't want to go alone on her later train. And then I sort of fell asleep maybe 30 minutes before we arrived, so Anna had to be awake to get us off the train. I'm gonna be really nice to her for the next two months.

The BEST PART of arriving in Germany was taking a look at my phone. Not only had the time been automatically updated, but where "AT&T" used to be, it magically changed to "!"

You'd think after 24 hours of traveling and little to no sleep, we'd be able to get some rest. But after taking the taxi to the Hedwig-Pfeiffer Haus, we had to take a test to split us up into two groups based on German proficiency. Apparently I got put in the good group. Then we got room assignments (room 205 for me) and keys and lugged heavy suitcases up the EXTREMELY LOUD stairs.

Still not allowed to sleep. Then we went to dinner at the oldest bar in Weimar, which I had no idea was going to be payed for by the LBAT program. So when I was confused by so many people ordering drinks upon drinks upon drinks, it would have been totally free. Ah well, I justify it by saying that I saved the program some money.

Finally, after dinner with the German tutors, it was time to go back to the house. I took a shower and fell asleep immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment