Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The next day!

Last night was interesting. I was in a pretty bad mood at about 7 PM, which made me not really want to go to a bar called M18 (which has the address Marienstrasse 18, coincidentally), where the tutors said they would meet us. I did anyway, and tried to make the most of it. Well, after a half hour of nothing really happening, I was approached by the girl who finally made it here last night from Atlanta, Jessica Barnard. We started talking, and three hours later, after we had traded entire life stories, we went back and she showed me pictures of her fiance, Erik. Erik is the coolest person I've ever heard of for some reason. He's really into cooking, half Korean, and apparently very clumsy. Erik, if you ever read this, you're my best friend in the whole world. Let's hang out.

Waking up this morning was quite easy! I set my cell phone alarm again, but also downloaded and used the College Alarm Clock, which made my computer start to play the hour-and-a-half-long song by Enya, Celtic Melt, at 7:30. Aside from the freezing cold, this morning was alright. I went downstairs and had breakfast (German breakfast is ridiculous awesome) and took the bus to school.

So after school, it was time for a walking tour of Weimar. Now normally, I'm certainly not one for walking tours... in fact, I'd go as far as to say that they suck, and pretty hard at that. But this one was alright. I'd contend that it was mediocre, even. The reason? The fact that the tour guide was speaking German forced me to pay attention. And also, the things we passed toward the end of the tour were just amazing. Like this thing:It was bombed out by the allies. Next to it was a staircase leading down to a grotto (yes, grotto) with a statue of William Shakespeare. And on the ridge overlooking the statue was a set of artificial ruins for aesthetic purposes only. I didn't know there was such a thing. It was kind of awesome.

After the tour, we passed by Goethe's house, Schiller's house, Herder's house and Martin Luther's house.

Afterward, I decided to go get groceries. So I passed by some cops, and asked them where the nearest Aldi (the best supermarket there is) was. He told me it was about a 15-minute walk away, and discouraged walking due to how far it was. Excuse me? Do you know who I am? Do you know the adventures Joey Slater and I take at Tech almost daily? 15 minutes is nothing compared to the 9.5 miles we walked one day JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT. I made it in 10.

Take that, society.

So I bought Hungarian salami. It was wrapped in what looked like ash and was really heavy. Also, I bought mustard and rolls.

As I was coming back, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a window. My jacket pockets were full of the stuff I bought, and it sort of looked like I was trying to hide it all and steal it. So I decided (for some reason) it would be just a swell idea to shout "ja, eigentlich habe ich viel geklaut!" (yes, actually I did steal a lot!) Long story short, a police officer heard me and I had to show him the receipt. I find it baffling I've managed to survive this long sometimes.

And then I made a sandwich out of salami and mustard and bread!


Also, today was my first day of substantial homework. The internet access in this house is so awful. I did it in between periods of internet downtime. I listened to the hour-and-forty-minute song I just downloaded by Enya in the meantime.

Tomorrow is more touring. Well, more class, and then more touring. And then more homework. And hopefully no more getting stern talkings-to by cops.

1 comment:

  1. Yeesh, Rob. Let's not get busted by the Polizei. My German is not good enough to talk you out of jail. So let that be the last time you act like an international criminal.

    Funny that they built artificial ruins for aesthetic purposes only. And you finally got to see Herder's house. Now you're gonna have to shell out 400 euros for that statue. Love, Mom